Internet and Cloud Expert Witness Services
Dr. Lavian is an Internet and cloud expert. He designs, analyzes, develops and improves complex software at the highest level for a diverse range of clients. Dr. Lavian has applied his expertise, industry knowledge and technical abilities to a skilled Internet and cloud expert witness practice.
There are cases which require a deep understanding of the relationship between applications and the architecture of the underlying communication services, especially the OSI model as it is implemented by the TCP/IP protocol stack. Dr. Lavian has both the academic background as well as industry experience to analyze and review the technical aspects of Internet and Cloud software for patent validity and infringement.
In particular, Dr. Lavian is an expert on Internet Applications and Cloud technologies, as well as hybrid architectures involving legacy enterprise software systems. Some of the highlights of Dr. Lavian’s software experience include deep knowledge and hands-on experience designing and implementing solutions consisting or making use of:
- Architecture: web applications, client-server. cloud computing, distributed computing, peer to peer networking, virtual private networks, tunneling, content networking, network security, mobile applications
- Internet protocols: HTTP, e-mail, SMTP, POP, IMAP, FTP, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, DHCP, DNS, NNTP, POP, SIP, IPv4, IPv6, UDP, TCP, IPSec
- Programming languages and Software: Java, C/C++, software APIs, steaming, network management, content networking
Dr. Lavian earned a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley in Computer Science where he researched and specialized in communication networks, telecommunication systems, Internet protocols and cloud computing. He served as a Principal Investigator for projects at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) of the US Department of Defense, including a research project for the US Air Force Research Lab (AFRL). As a Berkeley industry fellow and Nortel’s Scientist Liaison, he conducted research projects in data centers at Berkeley’s RAD Lab. Moreover, Dr. Lavian has researched and developed the following projects over the course of his career:
- Mobile application using cloud service APIs, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Services (GCP), machine learning libraries, AI and Python that enables a smartphone to search phone trees like Google searches the Internet. 2016-2018
- Data-Center Communications: network and server orchestration 2006-2007
- DRAC: SOA-facilitated L1/L2/L3 network dynamic controller 2003-2007
- Open platform: project for the US Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) 2005-2005
- Network resource orchestration for Web services workflows 2004-2005
- A proxy study between Web/grids services and network services 2004-2004
- Streaming content replication: real-time Audio/Video media multicast at edge 2003-2004
- Packet capturing and forwarding service on IP and Ethernet traffic 2002-2003
- CO2: content-aware agile networking 2001-2003
- Active networks: US DARPA-funded research program 1999-2002
- ORE: programmable network service platform 1998-2002
- JVM platform: Java on network devices 1998-2001
- Web-based device management: network device management 1996-1997
- Designed and developed network communications software products in C/C++ – 1994-1995
- Invented and implemented a two-way paging product – 1994-1995
- System and network communications in C/C++ 1990-1993
- Real-time software and algorithms in C/C++ and Pascal 1987-1990
It is challenging to understand the specifics of a full application stack from the business logic, through the application layer, the transport and network layers, the data links, and the physical layers. Dr. Lavian’s unique skills cover the full architecture spectrum from the enterprise application, through the cloud infrastructure to the nuances of communication protocols that connect them including the physical layer.
This breadth of technical experience allows Dr. Lavian to get involved as an Internet and Cloud expert witness in a software or architecture patent, copyright, or trade secret case, as well as review, analysis, and comparison of the underlying software source code.
Selected Patents - Internet and Cloud
In addition to his research and development work Dr. Lavian is also listed as an inventor of 120 patents A few of the patents in the fields of Internet and Cloud and network security are listed below:
Selected Publications - Internet and Cloud
Scientific publications co-authored by Dr. Lavian on the subject of Internet and cloud:
- “Applications Drive Secure Light-path Creation across Heterogeneous Domains, Feature Topic Optical Control Planes for Grid Networks: Opportunities, Challenges and the Vision.” Gommans L.; Van Oudenaarde B.; Dijkstra F.; De Laat C.; Lavian T.; Monga I.; Taal A.; Travostino F.; Wan A.; IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 44, no. 3, March 2006, pp. 100-106.
- Lambda Data Grid: Communications Architecture in Support of Grid Computing. Tal I. Lavian, Randy H. Katz; Doctoral Thesis, University of California at Berkeley. January 2006.
- “Information Switching Networks.” Hoang D.B.; T. Lavian; The 4th Workshop on the Internet, Telecommunications, and Signal Processing, WITSP2005, December 19-21, 2005, Sunshine Coast, Australia.
- “Impact of Grid Computing on Network Operators and HW Vendors.” Allcock B.; Arnaud B.; Lavian T.; Papadopoulos P.B.; Hasan M.Z.; Kaplow W.; IEEE Hot Interconnects at Stanford University 2005, pp.89-90.
- DWDM-RAM: A Data Intensive Grid Service Architecture Enabled by Dynamic Optical Networks. Lavian T.; Mambretti J.; Cutrell D.; Cohen H.J; Merrill S.; Durairaj R.; Daspit P.; Monga I.; Naiksatam S.; Figueira S.; Gutierrez D.; Hoang D.B., Travostino F.; CCGRID 2004, pp. 762-764.
- DWDM-RAM: An Architecture for Data Intensive Service Enabled by Next Generation Dynamic Optical Networks. Hoang D.B.; Cohen H.; Cutrell D.; Figueira S.; Lavian T.; Mambretti J.; Monga I.; Naiksatam S.; Travostino F.; Proceedings IEEE Globecom 2004, Workshop on High-Performance Global Grid Networks, Houston, 29 Nov. to 3 Dec. 2004, pp.400-409.
Selected Presentations - Internet and Cloud
Presentations and lectures by Dr. Lavian on the subject of Internet and cloud:
- Lambda Data Grid
- A Platform for Large-Scale Grid Data Service on Dynamic High-Performance Networks
- Lambda Data Grid: An Agile Optical Platform for Grid Computing and Data-intensive Applications.
- Workflow Integrated Network Resource Orchestration
- DWDM-RAM: DARPA-Sponsored Research for Data Intensive Service-on-Demand Advanced Optical Networks
- Impact of Grid Computing on Network Operators and HW Vendors
- Web Services and OGSA
- WINER Workflow Integrated Network Resource Orchestration.
Dr. Lavian provides expert witness services in the area of Internet and Cloud design and implementation.