Mobile Wireless Expert
Dr. Lavian is a mobile wireless expert. He has applied his research and industry expertise into a deep skilled mobile wireless expert witness practice, blending deep technical knowledge of patent issues, a vast personal invention portfolio, and subject matter expertise.
Mobile wireless devices have taken over the world by storm. There are billions of mobile or fixed devices deployed using wireless technologies to communicate. Having an in-depth understanding of wireless communication standards and protocols, accumulated through industry implementations as well as research in academia is a valuable asset in cases involving mobile wireless standards and applications. Dr. Lavian has both the academic background as well as industry experience to analyze and review the technical aspects of mobile wireless technologies and standards for patent infringement and validity.
In particular Dr. Lavian is an expert on cellular and wireless standards including Wi-Fi, IEEE 802.11 (a/b/g/n/ac), MAC, PHY, OFDM, DSSS, Wireless LAN (WLAN), GSM, UTMS, CDMA, WCDMA, FDMA, TDMA, as well as 3GPP, 3GPP2, WiMAX, 802.16, Bluetooth and LTE, His expertise also covers cellular networks and infrastructure equipment including cell sites, base stations, handsets, mobile devices, and smartphones. He has a deep academic knowledge and hands-on experience designing and implementing solutions consisting of such technologies.
Dr. Lavian served as a principal investigator for projects at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) of the US Department of Defense, including a wireless research project for an undisclosed US federal agency. As a Berkeley industry fellow and Nortel’s Scientist Liaison, he conducted research projects in wireless network systems, cellular systems, 3G GSM and wireless services (ICEBERG) and at Berkeley’s RAD Lab. Moreover, Dr. Lavian has researched and developed the following wireless and mobile communications projects over the course of his career:
- Mobile application and cloud service using wireless communications, VoIP, machine learning and AI that enables a smartphone to search phone trees like Google searches the Internet. Aybell 2016-2018
- Emulated a broad range of wireless access and core protocols to test wireless components and systems that, when combined with high volume traffic generation, provided an end-to-end solution for testing wireless service quality. Ixia 2008
- Employed a client-centric model to test Wi-Fi, wireless LAN, and cell phone networks by generating repeatable large-scale, real-world stress test scenarios that were virtually impossible to create by any other means. Ixia 2008
- Developed a mobile wireless device using an unlicensed band – Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS); FCC part 15 – unlicensed transmitters. Aptel Communications 1994-1995
Selected Patents - Mobile Wireless
In addition to his research and development work, Dr. Lavian is also listed as an inventor of 120 patents, A few of the patents in the field of mobile wireless are listed below:
- US 9,831,881: Radar target detection system for autonomous vehicles with ultra-low phase noise frequency synthesizer
- US 9,762,251: Ultra-low phase noise frequency synthesizer
- US 9,705,511: Ultra-low phase noise frequency synthesizer
- US 8,929,517: Systems and methods for visual presentation and selection of IVR menu
- US 8,762,963: Translation of programming code
- US 8,762,962: Methods and apparatus for automatic translation of a computer program language code
- US 8,681,951: Systems and methods for visual presentation and selection of IVR menu
- CA 2,989,752: Ultra-Low Phase Noise Frequency Synthesizer
Scientific Publications - Mobile Wireless
Scientific publications co-authored by Dr. Lavian on the subject of communication networks:
- The SAHARA Model for Service Composition Across Multiple Providers Raman B.; Agarwal S.; Chen Y.; Caesar M.; Cui W.; Lai K.; Lavian T.; Machiraju S.; Mao Z. M.; Porter G.; Roscoe T.; Subramanian L.; Suzuki T.; Zhuang S.; Joseph A. D.; Katz Y.H.; Stoica I.; Proceedings of the First International Conference on Pervasive Computing. ACM Pervasive 2002, pp. 1-14
Dr. Lavian provides expert witness services to his clients in the area of mobile wireless technologies.