Expert testimony services for Network Communications Patent Litigation
The Internet is the fundamental technology of the Information Age; more than any other technology, network communications have changed the way we live, putting the Internet at our fingertips. Dr. Lavian offers expert witness services in patent litigation cases, including expert testimony, expert witness reports, and declarations involving network communications, computer networks, and data communications. Dr. Lavian provides courtroom presence, clear testimony, and an ability to effectively distill complex concepts into understandable basics and commonsense.
The Networking and Communications area focuses on the architecture, design, and implementation of data networks, communication systems, computer networks, and Web technologies. The Internet is the best example of interconnected computer networks that use the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to communicate between many data networks, computer networks, and devices. In network communications, packet switching is the underlying mechanism for grouping data transmitted over a digital network into packets.
Network Communications Technologies
Dr. Lavian has extensive experience with network communications, computer networking, and data communications components which are part of the World Wide Web and the Internet architecture. He is intimately familiar with the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) and has a proficiency in networking and communications technologies, including:
- Computer networks, network architectures, network protocols, communication systems, communication devices, packet switching, networked systems, Internet technologies, distributed systems, and data center network architecture.
- Communication networks, Internet Protocols, TCP/IP Suite, TCP, UDP, IP, Ethernet, 802.3 Internet protocols.
- Network software, data link, network, transport, and application layers (L2, L3, L4, L7).
- Load balancing, Firewalls, Network Security, IPSec, VPN, Tunneling.
- Broadband, Network protocols, ICMP, IGMP, ARP, ARQ, HARQ.
- LAN, WAN, VPN, Routing Protocols, RIP, BGP, MPLS, OSPF, Multicast, DNS, and DHCP.
- Bandwidth throttling, Quality of Service, QoS, Priority queuing, Classification, Provisioning, Packet Switching, and Switching.
- Network Communication Architectures, Network Infrastructure, and
- Optical Networks, Optical Transport.
- Router, Switch, Bridge, Gateway, Edge Device, and core networking.
- Network Management, MIB, SNMP, Edge Router, Core Router, Gateway.
- Internet Technology & Infrastructure, Information Technology, Client/server applications, and 3-tiered architecture.
Dr. Lavian earned his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, in Computer Science, specializing in network communications. His research focus was on network communications, telecommunication systems, Internet protocols, and cloud computing. He has served as a scientist at UC Berkeley’s RAD Lab, and as a Technical Co-Chair for IEEE Interconnects at Stanford University.
Dr. Lavian spent over ten years working at Nortel Networks’ Research Labs, where he successfully spearheaded the development of the first network resource-scheduling service for Grid computing. He was the first to demonstrate the dynamic transatlantic allocation of 10Gbs Lambdas as a grid service, created the first wire-speed active network device on commercial hardware, and is a Senior Member of IEEE. He is an active member of ACM and IEEE-CNSV.
Expert Witness Services
As an expert in Network Communications, Dr. Lavian offers expert witness services in patent litigation cases, including:
- Expert testimony in United States District Courts, United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), International Trade Commission (ITC), and other courts across the United States and Canada.
- Testimony before USPTO PTAB, including Inter partes review (IPR), Covered Business Method (CBM), Post Grant Review (PGR), Ex-Parte Re-Examination, and PTO Interference.
- Testimony at depositions, oral hearings, and trials.
- Technology education for claim constructions and Markman hearings.
- Expert reports and declarations, including infringement analysis, validity analysis, claim terms constructions, and interpretations.
- Articulation of technical material for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Product and technology analysis related to patent portfolios, claim charts, prior art investigation, and patentability research.
Telecommunications and Unified Communications – Past Expert Witness Cases:
- VoIP, short message service, SMS, and chat apps (IPR, deposition).
- Prior art research and invalidation claim charts regarding iPhone, iPad, and other Apple mobile wireless products and technologies.
- Inter Partes Review (IPR) reports and deposition testimony for USPTO’s PTAB regarding telecommunications architecture, PSTN, and VoIP patents.
- Legal declaration regarding a claim amendment made on a video conference application program.
- Patent investigation and invalidation analysis of computer network protocol for a multimedia application.
- Inter Partes Review (IPR) reports and deposition testimony regarding internet reservations case.
- KVM switch architectures (Federal court, expert declarations, depositions, testimony before a judge and jury).
- Network management patents (IPR, CBM, expert reports, and depositions).
Selected law firm clients (Network Communications cases)
Selected corporate clients (Network Communications cases)
A list of selected publications, presentations, and patents related to Network communications technologies can be found here.
Selected Patents – Network Communications
In addition to his research and development work, Dr. Lavian is also listed as an inventor of 120 patents. A few of the patents in the field of communication networks are listed below:
Scientific Publications – Network Communications
Scientific publications co-authored by Dr. Lavian on the subject of communication networks:
- Applications Drive Secure Light-path Creation across Heterogeneous Domains, Feature Topic Optical Control Planes for Grid Networks: Opportunities, Challenges, and the Vision.” Gommans L.; Van Oudenaarde B.; Dijkstra F.; De Laat C.; Lavian T.; Monga I.; Taal A.; Travostino F.; Wan A.; IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 44, no. 3, March 2006, pp. 100-106
- Lambda Data Grid: Communications Architecture in Support of Grid Computing. Tal I. Lavian, Randy H. Katz; Doctoral Thesis, University of California at Berkeley. January 2006.
- “Information Switching Networks.” Hoang D.B.; T. Lavian; The 4th Workshop on the Internet, Telecommunications, and Signal Processing, WITSP2005, December 19-21, 2005, Sunshine Coast, Australia.
- Impact of Grid Computing on Network Operators and HW Vendors. Allcock B.; Arnaud B.; Lavian T.; Papadopoulos P.B.; Hasan M.Z.; Kaplow W.; IEEE Hot Interconnects at Stanford University 2005, pp.89-90.
- DWDM-RAM: A Data Intensive Grid Service Architecture Enabled by Dynamic Optical Networks. Lavian T.; Mambretti J.; Cutrell D.; Cohen H.J; Merrill S.; Durairaj R.; Daspit P.; Monga I.; Naiksatam S.; Figueira S.; Gutierrez D.; Hoang D.B., Travostino F.; >CCGRID 2004, pp. 762-764.
- DWDM-RAM: An Architecture for Data-Intensive Service Enabled by Next Generation Dynamic Optical Networks. Oang D.B.; Cohen H.; Cutrell D.; Figueira S.; Lavian T.; Mambretti J.; Monga I.; Naiksatam S.; Travostino F.; Proceedings IEEE Globecom 2004, Workshop on High-Performance Global Grid Networks, Houston, 29 Nov. to 3 Dec. 2004, pp.400-409.
Presentations and Lectures – Network Communications
Presentations and lectures by Dr. Lavian on the subject of communication networks:
Dr. Lavian provides expert witness services to his clients in the field of communication networks.