Expert testimony services for Telecommunications, VoIP, SIP, and Streaming Media Patent Litigation
The Internet and the World Wide Web have transformed the way we live, touching every part of our lives, including search engines, streaming, social media, communications, social media, e-commerce, and banking. Smartphones have changed the way that we consume information, connect to other applications, and communicate with others.
Dr. Lavian offers expert witness services in patent litigation cases, including expert testimony, expert witness reports and declarations, and patent analysis involving Telecommunications, VoIP, SIP, and streaming media. Dr. Lavian provides courtroom presence, clear testimony, and an ability to effectively distill complex concepts into understandable basics and commonsense.
Dr. Lavian’s academic background and practical industry experience provide him with a profound depth and breadth of knowledge regarding telecommunications, network communicators, and unified communications. He is highly experienced in different aspects of the relationships between telecommunication and Internet Protocols (TCP/IP), wireless applications, and their underlying communications service architectures, designs, and implementations.
Telecommunications and Unified Communications Technologies
Dr. Lavian has extensive experience with telecommunications components which are part of the Internet architecture. He is intimately familiar with the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) and has a proficiency in networking and communications technologies, including:
- Multimedia, audio, and video streaming, video/audio conferencing, streaming media, music streaming over TCP/IP protocol stack using standard Internet protocols such as TCP, UDP, IP, HTTP, HTML, and Web services.
- Integration of VoIP and streaming media with SIP, Internet protocols (TCP/IP), and PSTN, VoIP systems as the backbone of unified communications. (TAL—I CHANGED THIS FROM COMMUNICANTS TO COMMUNICATIONS—PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT IS CORRECT)
- Integration of such protocols and services with short messages technologies, including text messaging, SMS, MMS, Instant Messaging (IM), chat applications.
- Implementing such technologies over handsets, mobile devices, smartphones, cellular networks, wireless technologies, architectures, standards, systems, and backend infrastructure.
- IP communications, digital communications, interconnection networks, and network interfaces.
- Streaming protocols, VoIP protocols, IP telephony, SIP, RTP, H.323, MGCP, codecs (such as G.711. G.722, G.729),
- Public switched telephone networks, circuit switching, SS7, SDH, and SONET.
- Bandwidth, Quality of Service (QoS) as related to conferencing and media streaming.
In recent years, with support from UC Berkeley’s SkyDeck startup accelerator, Dr. Lavian has led a development team in the innovation of a mobile app and backend architecture that converts interactive voice response (IVR) into a Google-like cloud-based search experience. This solution is based on PBX call control and patented IVR crawling using Asterisk, SIP, and VoIP.
Expert Witness Services
As an expert in telecommunications, VoIP, and unified communications, Dr. Lavian offers expert witness services in patent litigation cases, including:
- Expert testimony in United States District Courts, United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), International Trade Commission (ITC), and other courts across the United States and Canada.
- Testimony before USPTO PTAB, including Inter partes review (IPR), Covered Business Method (CBM), Post Grant Review (PGR), Ex-Parte Re-Examination, and PTO Interference.
- Testimony at depositions, oral hearings, and trials.
- Technology education for claim constructions and Markman hearings.
- Expert reports and declarations, including infringement analysis, validity analysis, claim terms constructions, and interpretations.
- Articulation of technical material for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Product and technology analysis related to patent portfolios, claim charts, prior art investigation, and patentability research.
Telecommunications and Unified Communications – Past Expert Witness Cases :
- VoIP, short message service, SMS, and chat apps patents (IPR, deposition).
- iPhone, iPad, and other Apple mobile wireless products and technologies (Prior art research and invalidation claim charts).
- Telecommunications architecture, PSTN, and VoIP patents (IPR, depositions).
- Video conference application program (Declaration regarding claim amendments).
- Computer network protocol for a multimedia application (Patent prior art investigation and invalidation analysis).
- Firewall and secured multimedia communications (IPR).
- Access and security of data networking attached devices, Network Firewall, Proxy Server, Network security (IPR).